Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Nutritional Supplements - A Necessary Evil?

I just read an interesting article about all the so-called "Super Foods" that are supposed to help keep you healthy. And I do not agree. It makes sense that food is very giving vitamins, antioxidants and other essential nutrients. If you are unfamiliar with these foods, they consist of blueberries, wild salmon, broccoli, spinach, tomatoes, beans, sweet potatoes, soybeans, wheat, walnuts. They have added a new food several counts: indigo berry, goji berry, cocoa (dark chocolate is the latest craze), acai berry and I'm sure there are many others. When I read through the calculation of the 12 super foods you should eat every day, I decided to get out a pen and write exactly what "they" think I should eat everyday. The following calculation: Remember - this is EVERY DAY 2 1 / 2 cup nuts (by the way, I heard the black beans have better nutrition, with beans after a close second) 1 / 2 c. fresh blueberries 1 cup cooked broccoli (or 1 / 2 cup raw) 3 servings of grains 1 serving of soy 1 cup cooked spinach 1 / 2 c. beta-carotene products (sweet potatoes, carrots, pumpkin) 1 whole tomatoes 1 1 / 2 oz. beans 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil 1 ounce dark chocolate (okay, that should not be too hard) wild salmon - 4 times a week Would not it be great if I could actually EAT like that everyday? If I do not have to worry about eating other people in my family? Kudos for those who do. Has anyone else been reading about fruits and vegetables does NOT provide a source of nutrients that they once did? With all the pesticides and processing problems occur, sometimes it gets a little scary. I'm not sure that will all be completely organic, but not all of us live near the market that makes the source of nutritious fresh produce and not all of us can afford to it. Make no mistake - I'm all for eating nutritious. I consider my diet and I eat enough nutritious food on a count of all that on a fairly regular basis-maybe not in those amounts and not every day. There are also some of the compounds studied in recent years that have been shown to have anti-aging attributes. Ginko, DMAE, resveratrol to name a few. In order to obtain the amount needed to promote good health, we have to eat too much even if it was all "super" foods - and it certainly is not nutritious. So I thought I would continue taking nutritional supplements and I KNOW that I'm getting the proper amount of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, green and what not. Remember: no amount of supplements can replace nutritious lifestyle: proper diet and plenty of exercise. I've done some investigation - there is no reason to spend a small fortune on nutritional supplements. You can still get good quality for a reasonable price. See website below for sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment